Microsoft Office for Students and Employees
All New River students and employees are given free access to Microsoft Office 365 cloud apps automatically. If a student or employee needs access to the downloaded desktop apps for installation on personal computers (PC and Mac only, Chromebooks are not eligible) here are the steps.
Logging into Microsoft Office 365 (through the portal)
To access the Microsoft Office 365 applications, you must first login to the New River portal (https://newriver.onbio-key.com). Here are the steps:
- Login to the New River portal (https://newriver.onbio-key.com).
- Click the Office 365 Email link.
- Located in the upper left corner of your Office 365 Email page is the icon for the Office App Launcher (it looks like a square with dotted lines - see screenshot), click it to expand. This launcher has links to all of the office web apps, excel, word, etc and can be used in the cloud ** Note: *** The apps in this launcher are limited in functionality. They will not have what you need for any office classes. For the full version please continue with the instructions below)
- To install the full desktop version click "Office 365 ->" at the top of the expanded launcher. On the Microsoft page that opens, you will see a link to Install Office, click it and follow the directions. Note: If the Install Office link does not show, it could be that you have the base web app only license, and need upgraded to a different license please contact the help desk in step 5.
- If you need assistance, please contact the New River Help Desk by calling 304-929-6725, e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org or going HERE to submit a ticket directly.
About Downloading Microsoft Office 365 Apps
After you click the "Install Office" link, the site will determine the version best suited for your computer and it will download. Alternatively, you can click the drop-down icon beside this button to "View other install options" and see what other options are available.
If downloading the apps doesn't work, it may be due to limited space on your hard drive or that you're using a Chromebook or other non-supported device. If so, you can still use the Office applications online from your Office 365 account. When you're viewing your Office 365 Email screen, you'll find links for all the Office 365 apps. Simply click one to get started using the web version of that app.
License issues or errors:
Make sure that you have signed into your @newriver.edu account
If you are using a personal Outlook, Microsoft, or Hotmail account you will need to sign out of all accounts under you login name at the top, close all open office programs, then open word again and sign in with your @newriver.edu account in order for the license change to take affect.
If you need assistance, please contact the Help Desk by calling 304-929-6725, e-mailing email@example.com or use "Submit a request" at the top of this page.