How to Download and Install the Cisco AnyConnect VPN 4.x Client
To view more detailed instructions please go to PDF Directions
NOTE: You cannot access the VPN website or software while on campus, you must do this away from campus.
There are just a few steps to complete before you're ready to access the internal New River network and they are:
- Open a web browser and go to this site:https://vpn.newriver.edu (click to continue through any certificate warnings).
- Enter your username and password (same credentials you use to access New River email).
- Click on "AnyConnect"
- Click "Start AnyConnect"
- The web page will detect your operating system, once it is finished detecting it will populate a download button. Click to download and then install the program (if using Internet Explorer or Edge, click "run" which will open the installer automatically when its finished downloading).
- Open the Cisco AnyConnect application on your computer and click the gear looking icon.
- A window will open with tabs, click on the preferences tab and make sure that "Block connections to untrusted servers" is NOT checked
- Close that window and on the main client window type "vpn.newriver.edu" without quotes and then click connect.
- You will be prompted to sign in using your New River credentials.
- The application will minimize to the system tray (beside the clock) and you should be now be able to access all New River services and files that you need to access.
To disconnect from the VPN simply open the AnyConnect client from your system tray (beside the clock) and click disconnect.
NOTE: You must be added to the VPN user group to access the VPN, if you are not in that group you will receive an error when logging in. Conctact IT if you need added to this group.
(updated March 20, 2020)